Half Day Taster
As well as a fantastic place for experienced kayakers, the Zambezi is a great place to learn how to kayak. The warm water and high volume means that it is neither as unpleasant nor as dangerous when you go upside down as it may be on low volume rivers in cold climates. The other thing to remember is that literally thousands of people have ended up in the river on rafting trips! If you'd like to check out if this is the sport for you, then our world class instructors are in hand to teach and inspire you in their sport of choice.
Your Morning Kayaking
Your guides will collect you from where you are staying and transfer you to the eddy above Rapid 6 which is the perfect place to practise the basics of kayaking. Here the gentle Zambezi Current allows you to learn to paddle across the current, catch eddies and learn the basics of support and paddle strokes. Depending on your progression, we then have the option to paddle you through your first Zambezi Rapid, "The Devils Toilet Bowl".. sounds worse than it is. Many customers have run through this rapid in excess of 10 times on this course! This will surely get the buzz of kayaking into your blood!
Included In Your Half Day
- Transfers to and from the river
- Internationally qualified guides and instructors
- Soft drinks on your walk out of the gorge
- Park Fees
Details Of The Trip
- A reasonable level of fitness is required for the walk into and out of the gorge
- You will need to bring your voucher
- Swimming is not essential but you need some confidence in water
- You will be required to sign a liability waiver prior to starting the trip
- Any medication you are on, must be declared
What You Need To Bring With You
Most people have all that is required with them for your kayak school. The following is a brief list of what we recommend.
- Water bottle
- Swimsuit and or shorts
- Thermal Top for cooler days in August and November - January
- Sturdy Shoes or sandals (we recommend Chaco or Keens)
Many of these items may be purchased from www.thezambezi.com/riverwear